Sunday, September 6, 2015

Hordes Are Made of People, Too

A few months ago, I was casually scrolling through my Facebook newsfeed when I saw a post by Dr. Chanda Prescod-Weinstein about people protesting the construction of a telescope in Hawai'i.  I didn't think much of it at the time, but kept scrolling and eventually went back to watching some terrible sitcom on Netflix. Some time after that, my Facebook and Twitter feeds exploded with stories about that same telescope. Suddenly, I couldn't look at any form of social media without hearing about Mauna Kea or the Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT). I started paying attention then (after all, when Khal Drogo sends a message, you better listen), and now I have lots of feelings about the subject.


For those of you who aren't friends with a lot of socially aware astronomers on Facebook and didn't get that same barrage of TMT news, here's what's going on:  Astronomers want to build the TMT on top of Mauna Kea in Hawai'i.  Mauna Kea is a sacred mountain. There are many people in Hawai'i (and elsewhere) who would rather the astronomers build their very large, very destructive telescope somewhere else.  

I started actively seeking out articles about this conflict, written from both perspectives. I found lots of astronomers who support the construction TMT and I found lots of astronomers who oppose it.  You know what else I found lots of? Language that lumps entire groups of people into one single being. It's "the protesters" this, or "the Protectors" that (if the author knows what's up), or "horde of native Hawaiians attacking" (if the author really doesn't know what's up).  And that's not cool!

I'm not really here to to talk about what I think of the TMT. That's a topic for another blog post. But regardless of what side of this argument you're on, it's important for everyone to realize that this movement is made up of individuals, each with their own backgrounds and motivations for being involved. I recently had the opportunity to spend some time on Mauna Kea and meet some of the people those articles are about. I'd like you to meet them, too. (Anonymously, of course, because ain't nobody got time to rudely give away people's identities without their permission.) 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
S was the first person I met when I approached the Protector tent, shy and awkward and totally unsure of how to initiate conversation.  Within 30 seconds of meeting me, S gave me a hug and offered me a donut. He won me over then and there. He won me over again when he told me that he "used to be just a normal guy" until a few months ago, when he heard about the TMT and all of the consequences its construction would have. He quit his job and bought a one-way ticket to Hawai'i island, and he's been there ever since. 

The first time I saw P, he was answering questions about his plans to repopulate the native plant life on Mauna Kea. When I asked him about it later, he talked about the different kinds of plants he wanted to bring back and their various purposes, some of them medicinal. He heard I was an astronomy student and got so excited, not angry like some of the articles led me to expect.  When I hugged him goodbye, he was on his way out to the garden to plant some more herbs I had never heard of. 

T is a farmer who lives close to the mountain. She and her partner practice a specific kind of farming that uses the natural waterflow that comes off of Mauna Kea. In between telling me about the damage the TMT would do to one of the largest aquifers on the island, T offered me chili, fruit, and a local tea that she had brought up the mountain for lunch.  She told me my name sounded like the Hawaiian word for "to dream" and we bonded over a love of science. We touched noses before she left. 

L has been on top of the mountain almost every day since people started occupying the mountain in response the first attempts to break ground for the TMT.  He's a teacher, and he's fluent in Hawaiian.  When I told him I was trying to learn a little bit of the language, he sat down with me for 20 minutes to go over some basic vocabulary. l asked him why he was there. He said he felt a responsibility to his family, to his aunt who signed the anti-annexation petition back in 1897.He talked about the power of love to fix all troubles, and I kind of felt like I had been transported back to the 60's, but I was into it.

K is a college student just like me, studying environmental science. She knows people who have dropped out of school to become involved in the movement.  Like most of the others, she offered me food, but it was my first day on the mountain and I was too shy to take it. She asked me why I was there, and when I told her, she led me around and introduced me to people, making sure I knew I was welcome. 

J and R are the sweetest married couple. He's been retired for over 10 years and she's excited to retire next year. They've only been off the island once. J heard that I was an astronomy student there to ask questions for my senior thesis and offered to give me a tour of the land. She showed me plants that looked like swords sticking out of the ground and bushes that smelled like fish when I rubbed them. When R got back from wherever he had been, she asked if I wanted to go hiking with them. We hiked to the top of a sizable hill, and along the way, they told me about their children, life-long friendships, marathons they had run together.  They promised me a place to stay if I ever found myself in Hawai'i again and I made them promise to look me up if they ever found themselves in Boston. 

These are just a few of the people I had the pleasure of meeting, but I think you get the picture. 
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

When we talk about groups that form around controversial matters, like the Protectors or Black Lives Matter, we have this tendency to remove their humanity.  We talk about them as if they're a Borg cube, sharing thoughts, plans, and motivations. I don't know which is the chicken and which is the egg here, but when we do this, it allows a few things to happen:
  1. It's easier to perform (and write about) inhumane acts that are direct consequences of racially charged colonization if you don't focus on the victims as humans.
  2. It makes it so that the actions of one person, no matter how far removed they are from the group's agenda, represent the entire movement. 
  3. It justifies condemning the group for being "disorganized."  Neither the Mauna movement nor BLM claim to have centralized leadership, yet we expect them to act as if they do because of the way we present them in the media. 
It's time to stop this and get to know the individuals within the horde. Maybe then we would see our actions, past and present, in a different light. 

3 comments:

  1. Aloha Moiya, It was interesting for me to read your article that does not support TMT. Are you aware that many Hawaiians support TMT and DKIST? Do you know that many astronomy students in Hawaii are pressured by the opposition supported by people like you. It strikes me as a bit hypocritical that you can study as you please but Hawaiians are to be deprived by the likes of you. You speak of de colonizing astronomy but in reality you and others like yourself are the Neo Colonialists, you are the voice saying "no" to Hawaiians. What gives you the right to take away these chances to study with the best that science can offer? We have every right to study what we please and no one, not astronomers at Harvard nor other doctors in science have the right to deny us. Living as you and those like you suggest we will be giving in to decades of discrimination and subjugation. It will be as if the Big Five and all those who sought to keep us from achieving our full measure of humanity will continue to determine our destiny. We don't need your voices, we have our own. Hawaiians spoke of the cosmos long before cosmology was a science. We navigated in small crafts across the Pacific for decades and generations; passing down the science of our journeys in oral tradition. We were scientists, astronomers and knowledgeable about the cosmos, read our chants and learn what we spoke of. TMT and DKIST is the next step in our journey, it's what we can share with the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Veronica,

      Moiya isn't trying to take away anyone's opportunity to study astronomy, she is simply bringing light to an issue where too many astronomers want to dismiss and silence the voices of the opposition. As with any social dilemma, there may not be any simple answer and of course we astronomers would absolutely love to see the completion of these telescopes for our own scientific and humanity-benefiting goals. When a group of people feels like they are being silenced or disrespected, perhaps we should stop and listen. We can study astronomy and still call our community out on its insensitivity, which is what is happening here. Hopefully there will be a nice resolution where everyone's concerns and needs have been addressed. Moiya isn't trying to silence the voices of pro-TMT Hawaiians, she is trying to elevate the voices of those who have been ignored and bring the issue to the attention of pro-TMT astronomers who have historically had little regard for the effects of their scientific needs on the communities that end up hosting these telescopes.

      Delete
  2. Aloha William, I wish you and Moiya could find it in your hearts to support Native Hawaiians that want TMT. It's so disingenuous of you because you study as you please. Perhaps you are under the sway of your professors. Do you realize that you are the Neo - Colonizers? You deprive us of the best science, the right to learn, you make us less than human. Is this a new fashion? That educated people can decide what others cannot have? It's just a new tattoo? TMT on Maunakea will be an extension of our ancestor's brave and brilliant voyages in the small crafts in the vast ocean. Our Queen Liliuokalani remarked that we came from the stars. Our chants speak of the cosmos before L.Krauss was born. We are astronomy and cosmology and we deserve the best science in the world. TMT will sit on a lava flow on a small portion of the astronomy area on the slope of our beloved Maunakea. TMT on Maunakea will take us from the piko, the center, to the earliest planets, the beginnings of life as in our Kumulipo. We will see how the universe evolved as in Mele Hanau o Kauikeaouli. TMT is part of our culture because it will confirm, as much as anything can, what our culture is based on. TMT will allow Hawaii to share science with the world as in the Spirit of Aloha.

    ReplyDelete