Saturday, June 20, 2015

Danger: Galaxies Merging

We all make decisions that we know aren't the best for our health. This summer, I made the decision to do two *very different* research projects with two *very different* research groups.  You've already heard a lot about my first one dealing with exoplanets, but now I want to tell you a bit about the other one. The title above might give you a hint as to what it's about. 

I'm working with Drs. Howard Smith and Matthew on a sample of Ultra-Luminous Infrared Galaxies, trying to study the molecular outflows that happen when they merge.  I don't think I can say too much about this, or show any pictures, because that would basically be making our data and intentions public, but I can say a bit about what I've been doing.

Data Reduction. That's pretty much it. Every once in a while, I get to make a spreadsheet, but then I go right back to reducing data, initializing scripts that can take days to run.  I might sound bitter, but I actually don't mind.  (No sarcasm, I promise.)  Sure, it's not as exciting as the actual analysis that I'll get to do once this is all over, but taking raw data and manipulating it into a workable form is very satisfying. 

                         

This two-internship thing is more than just busy and slightly stressful.  It's confusing, too. I don't mean confusing in the sense that I have no idea what I'm doing with the research --though there definitely is some of that.  I mean confusing in the sense that my whole life plan has kind of been shaken.

I didn't want to go to grad school until about a year ago.  I didn't know I wanted to study astronomy until about two years ago.  So I guess I was due for another life-changing revelation, but it still took me by surprise.  What's changed?  I don't think exoplanets are boring anymore.  Maybe it's the project I'm working on, or the advisor I'm working on it with (no offense to other advisor; he's really great!), or the fact that I finally get to work with exoplanets outside of the classroom in a real research environment where I can more or less give the work my undivided attention. It's most likely a combination of all three. But whatever it is, it means that galaxies -- their formation and evolution -- aren't my only astronomical love anymore. 

Grad school, particularly choosing what I want to study once I get there, just got a whole lot harder, but at least now there's a better chance that I'll enjoy whatever I end up doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment